The Art Gallery at the Halton Hills Cultural Centre
Conversion of the church/library to a gallery enabled restoration of the original plaster vaulted ceiling and the retention of the colourful stained glass windows, creating an atmosphere of elegance and tranquillity. With monthly showings of many local artists and clubs, as well as famous Canadian artists such as Robert Bateman, the “Gallery” continues to be a favorite for many residents to browse and enjoy what the world of art has to offer.
Drop by to see the regularly changing exhibits at the Art Gallery.
The Congregational Church, constructed in 1854 by its members, is a fine example of Victorian Gothic. By 1915, the congregation fell in numbers and the building was given to the Town to serve as the new library. In 1973, a large addition was erected in the south east corner. The library relocated to this addition, leaving most of the original church building for community oriented facilities. The Library relocated to the new space, leaving the top floor of the Church to serve as an Art Gallery. At the same time, the building expanded to include a 267 seat community theatre.
The John Elliott Theatre and Art Gallery became collectively known as the Cultural Centre, operated by the Recreation and Parks Department of the Town. The Church part of the building remains designated due to its historical value.